Several landslides, soil sinking hit Chungtia; 14 houses affected in 2025

Mokokchung | August 28

BY | Thursday, 28 August, 2025

Chungtia village in Mokokchung District is facing continuous landslides and soil sinking that have damaged homes across four sectors—Yimkum, Yimlang, Sabangya and Razü—dragging large stretches of soil downhill. More than 50 families are currently at risk, with many residents vacating homes out of fear and shifting to relatives’ places or rented houses.

Chungtia Village Council Chairman Assamwati confirmed to Nagaland Tribune that seven houses were destroyed during the 2024 landslide, and 13 more were damaged in this year’s landslides, forcing affected families to relocate. Separately, village-level reporting this year has also cited 14 houses affected in 2025, while EAC Ongpangkong, Sangpangchang, recorded 11 households initially (date of occurrence July 29) and an increase to 14 households by August 25 after fresh spot verifications, including a widow’s house that was subsequently verified and supported.

The chairman said villagers recently cleared uprooted bamboos and trees along the PWD road linking Aliba, Kinunger, Mangmetong and Satsü, warning that consistent rainfall is gradually sliding the earth and “if the downpour continues, it will definitely affect the road linking these villages.” Within Yimkum sector, the village’s circular/main road is severely affected with sinking.

Calling the situation “very alarming, risking life,” the chairman said staying is not possible and that the crisis “indirectly affects everything.” He added that the council has approached the competent authority, the Geological Survey of India (GSI) to conduct a comprehensive survey of the entire village through a letter on August 26.

The chairman informed that EAC Ongpangkong Sangpangchang has visited the sites several times for spot verification and that the PWD officer in charge visited the affected site on August 27.

Speaking to Nagaland Tribune, EAC Sangpangchang said Emergency Relief Funds (ERF) from the DDMA

Mokokchung were provided. He explained that the first report received was for 11 households, with the occurrence dated July 29. The village reported a few days later, possibly because “initially they thought it wasn’t that serious, but slowly it deteriorated.” When spot verification was undertaken, the affected families had already relocated for safety; the administration contacted them over the phone, coordinated with the council, and ensured they were out of danger.

He said ERF of ₹3,000 each was provided to the initial 11 households, and that the number rose to 14 households within a few days. As of his August 25 visit, the last report was of a widow whose house had also been affected; after spot verification, ERF was given to all the 14 household till date.

On the letter to the GSI, the EAC said that prior to his joining office in August, landslides during the June–July 2024 monsoon had already affected seven households in Chungtia. With fresh landslides this year and the situation becoming “alarming,” as initiated by the council, he assisted the village council in sending the letter to the Joint Director, GSI, through the Deputy Commissioner’s office, Mokokchung.

Additionally, the chairman stated that a letter from the Village Council has already been forwarded to the Deputy Director, GSI, through the District Administration for a comprehensive survey of the village.

One among the worst-hit affected house is the Kajenkaba family from Yimkum sector. This sector is also described as the most severely affected among the four sectors presently.

The son of Kajenkaba told Nagaland Tribune that they shifted to a rented house near the village church on August 2 after their RCC concrete house began sinking.

He said the first incident was when the chimney started separating from the kitchen, followed by the kitchen separating from the veranda and rooms. He described persistent rainfall over the past three months, small cracks, and the house shaking slowly. The family attempted to stabilize the area with a

JCB and continued staying by managing a kitchen downstairs, but the soil kept sinking from below, dragging the structure downhill.

Download Nagaland Tribune app on Google Play

Unable to risk further, they shifted out, initially leaving the room as it was, which also started cracking.

Last week, they salvaged materials—window bars, doors, and recently took down the roof. He said, “Our house was severely affected and we cannot stay there at all,” adding they cannot build a house in that area anymore.

According to him, sinking from above is dragging soil downhill, so houses below are being affected—some families are still managing to stay, but six households have completely shifted to relatives’ places for shelter. He estimated their family damage house “lakhs” of rupees have sunk into the soil. A neighbor’s wood-and-bamboo house constructed last year was completely damaged, and his uncle’s house built this year was completely affected. He confirmed that two houses—including theirs—are completely and severely damaged and dismantled.

The Village Council has urged urgent geological assessment by the GSI to determine safety, mitigation and rehabilitation measures.

Speaking to the Geological Survey of India (GSI) through a telephonic conversation, an unofficial source confirmed to Nagaland Tribune that the office had received the letter on August 26 and that the matter is under process. It was further informed that, usually, a team is deputed to conduct an on-site assessment once such cases are received.

You cannot copy content of this page