Five tribal organisations representing Tuensang, Shamator, Noklak, Kiphire and adjoining areas have urged the Nagaland Government to keep the newly sanctioned Short-Term Maintenance Contract (STMC) for National Highway-202 (NH-202) in abeyance until the earlier maintenance work is completed, while calling for the immediate implementation of the long-pending two-laning project.
In a joint representation to Deputy Chief Minister and Minister in-charge of National Highways, the Chang Khulei Setshang, United Sangtam Likhüm Pümji, Khiamniungan Tribal Council, Yimkhiung Tribal Council and Tikhir Tribal Council raised concerns over the incomplete maintenance work sanctioned for 2025–26.
The tribal bodies stated that the STMC awarded to Hi-Tech Construction & Co., Pace Enterprises and Classic Construction for the period from June 19, 2025 to June 19, 2026 remained incomplete across the highway stretch even after the contract period had expired.
They have now allowed the contractors until the first week of October 2026 to complete the pending work, while insisting that the quality of workmanship must not be compromised. Failure to complete the work within the stipulated period, they warned, would compel the signatories to initiate appropriate action.
The tribal organisations said they welcomed the sanctioning of a fresh one-year Short Term Maintenance Contract (STMC) for 244 km of NH-202 covering Tuensang, Shamator, Kiphire and Meluri districts by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH). However, they urged the State Government to keep implementation of the 2026–27 maintenance contract in abeyance until the previous year’s work is completed.
Download Nagaland Tribune app on Google Play

Demand for long-pending two-laning project
In the representation signed by N Sipong Chang, Vice-President, Chang Khulei Setshang; K Aliba Sangtam, President, United Sangtam Likhüm Pümji; L Ngon, President, Khiamniungan Tribal Council; Thrôngso Yimkhiung, President, Yimkhiung Tribal Council; and Timong, President, Tikhir Tribal Council, the tribal bodies also referred to a July 27, 2026 communication from the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH), concerning an interim arrangement to ensure that National Highway projects in Nagaland do not come to a halt and that the land acquisition process continues.
They said several meetings and communications had already taken place concerning the proposed two-laning of NH-202, but the project has yet to see the desired implementation.
Describing NH-202 as one of the oldest and the only major National Highway serving the people of Tuensang, Shamator, Noklak and Kiphire districts that remains without proper two-lane upgrading, the tribal bodies contrasted the situation with other parts of Nagaland where highway connectivity has already been improved.
They termed NH-202 a lifeline for the people of the four districts and urged the Deputy Chief Minister to initiate the two-laning project at the earliest.

