Rio says Forest Conservation Amendment Bill is not a threat to Nagaland

Kohima: CM points out that hardly 5% of forest in Nagaland belongs to government

BY | Wednesday, 9 August, 2023

Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio has said that the Forest Conservation Amendment Bill, 2023 passed by the parliament is not a threat to Nagaland as it is protected by Article 371 (A).

He said this while speaking to reporters on the sideline of an event at North Police Station, Kohima on Wednesday.

Download Nagaland Tribune app on Google Play

Mentioning that Nagas are always referring to Article 371 (A) because the state and the people have special protection, the Chief Minister pointed out that hardly 5% of the forest belongs to the government and the rest 95% belongs to the individuals or the community.

Rio exuded hope that the state will further study however, he said that right now it does not have any reaction.

On the Naga Peoples Front (NPF) demand for a special session to discuss in the upcoming session on the Bill, Rio reacted saying, “anybody can raise the issue and it can be discussed.”

Read more: Nagaland govt must immediately pass act to counteract ‘anti-tribal and anti-constitutional’ Forest Conservation Amendment Act 2023- Kuzholuzo Nienu

You cannot copy content of this page